![]() |
| The Flint Journal, MLive.com, Creator: Jake May |
“When I was 8 I almost drowned.” PN gazes at me, her big brown
eyes soft yet intense. She’s squatting on the deck, post swim, leaning toward
me to chat.
“Really? Wow! That’s terrible. In a
pool?” I usually don’t partake of conversation while I’m in the pool, trying to
swim laps, but I have to stop for this story. The swimmers around me are
splashing and flailing. Many look like they’re drowning, but in fact, that’s
just how they swim. I watch as a young man splashes spastically in the deep end
before one of the lifeguards yells at him to grab the lane line and then moves
him to the shallow end.
“Yes. I remember being in the pool
and sinking and seeing the ladder underwater, but I couldn’t reach it because I
couldn’t swim.”
“Oh, my god!”
“Yeah…fortunately,
someone rescued me.” She shakes her head, her short dark curls dripping water
on her round brown shoulders. “I told myself that I was going to get my daughter
swim lessons. I wasn’t going to let her go through the same thing.”
“Yeah, that’s
so important. It’s amazing that you are able to be in the water at all after
that happened to you,” I marvel.
“I didn’t
swim until I was 30,” she said. “But then I told myself, get over it. You have
to learn this.”
She paused
for a moment.
“There is
power in learning!” she beamed, rising now to head out.
“Yes,” I agreed. Thinking how this has been my whole life. The belief that there is power in learning. I’ve been teaching college students how to write, research, read and yes, LEARN, for decades. But now, I wonder. With the advent of AI (No, I didn’t set out to write about AI; I’m so sick of reading and hearing about it, but it’s here whether we like it or not), will anyone be bothered to learn anything as easily mastered by AI as writing?
I’m already
seeing the dearth of students at the writing lab. No one is sending in their
papers for help tutoring anymore. I’m sure they’re all just using AI to not
only check their grammars, but to write their essays too. A friend of mine who
teaches in the community colleges, research writing specifically, told me: “The
research paper is dead.”
And I had
to agree. It is. Who is going to bother to research anything, to go through the
arduous process of coming up with a focused question to explore, sifting
through all the journals, books, websites for evidence, choosing the most pertinent
ones, and then organizing it all into a coherent essay?
Only those
who are really interested in learning.
I hope that
they’re still out there. I know I still want to learn. Though my continued attempts
to learn Spanish for the last 6 years seems to yield little progress.
But
I like the process of learning. I like discovering a new word in Spanish, or a
new grammar topic that is difficult, taking multiple tries to get it right. For
years, I’ve been trying to master the indirect and direct object pronouns. And,
the other day, after reading an article in the NYT , I actually used one of the
direct pronouns to write a sentence about Manuel Ortega: Despues de las
eleciones ultimas, nadie lo desafi por poder. After the elections,
no one challenged him for power. The lo equals him! I did it!
What a feeling of triumphant satisfaction!
I like learning a new piece of
music on the piano, especially if it’s a difficult or challenging one: right now,
I’m tackling Schumann's Kindersehen —all 13 of them! Some I already knew
and needed to only polish. But the one I was working on today, number 3, “Hasche-Mann”,
needs lots of focused practice: to get the notes; to get the rhythm and tempo;
to master the dynamics.
I love it! Of course, I'll never sound like Tiffany Poon, but that's okay. It's a project!
But I know
from all my years of teaching that many don’t. The process of learning
something difficult or new is just too hard. They give up. They don’t bother.
They are lazy.
Hah! There goes
my elitist professor voice!
Yet, with
something like swimming, if you don’t learn it and for whatever reason, you end
up in the deep end of the pool without a lifeguard, not learning how to swim
can be deadly.
There is
power in learning.
Power to
read. Power to write. Power to think.
And, yes, power to swim!




No comments:
Post a Comment