Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Pool toys, Pringles and Cockroaches

“The water main went out at my Club the other day so I had to swim here,” Sandy sighed, spritzing herself with a healthy squirt from her Utopian Spray bottle to cool down.
“How’d that go?” I ask.
“It was fine. Until I hit something with my hand.”
“What do you mean?”
“At first I thought it was a kickboard, or the lane line, but then when I stopped to assess, I saw it was a toy.”
I laugh. “Yeah, they like toys in the pool at the downtown Oakland Y.”
“Which is fine, but not in my lane. I had half a mind to pick it up and fire it over at the lifeguard.”
“Like he would have even noticed.”
“Exactly,” Sandy shook her head, leaned back into the hot wall. DL was below. I could see the belly laugh in its silent giggle.

“I noticed tonight that the swimmer next to me, in the lane next to the family chaos section, was just swimming through the toys," I start in. "At one point a pretty pink ball was blocking his way and he just plowed right through it, not missing a stroke. I was very impressed. I would have stopped. Hailed the lifeguard. Thrown the ball back at the kids. Yelled that the toys belonged in that side of the pool. Etc. etc. etc. Like it would have even mattered, right?”
Sandy and DL both chuckle. “Yeah, I hear you…," Sandy said.

There was a moment of heated repose before Sandy began again. “Did you see all of those signs to bring your friends and family last Sunday for Labor Day?”
“Oh, yeah, I think so,” I said, still thinking of the swimmer with the pink ball.
“Well, when I went to my usual situation where my locker is there was a family and I’m tellin’ you they had a goddamn picnic going on.”
“Really?” I encourage.
“Yup. They had quite a spread: sandwiches, fruit….Pringles.”
“Pringles?” I crack up, noting that DL does too.
“Yes, and so when I went to open my locker, hell if I was gonna move away to get dressed, I told them, “You know, there are cockroaches in this place.”
DL bursts out laughing. I join in. “Cockroaches!” I exclaim.
“Yup.”
“And what was their response?” I ask between mirthful breaths.
“Nothing. They just shrugged and continued their picnic. It didn’t faze them at all.”
“I’m not surprised. But cockroaches. That is disgusting!”

“Exactly,” Sandy nodded. “One time, I just got a plastic bag and positioned it over a roach, scooped it up and took it upstairs to the Powers that Be and said, ‘Here you go. What are you gonna do about it?’”
“And they got right on the case, right?” I joked.
“Yup,” Sandy sighed loudly.

“I can’t believe you actually captured one in a plastic bag.”
“Hawaii. They’ve got bugs there,” Sandy responded, Hawaiian native and seasoned bug capturing pro that she was. And I remembered how once, when I was staying at this hippy dippy place in Kailua, I heard this huge ‘thunk’ in the middle of the night and when I turned on the light, there was an enormous bug that looked like an alien from a Sigourney Weaver movie plastered on the wall opposite my bed. I screamed and opened the door and tried to get it out, yelling, flailing my arms, throwing flip flops at it, but it just hung out there, serenely, like a plastic brown creature from outer space that had landed for the duration of the night. Hawaii does have bugs!
“Well, I’m sure they don’t have cockroaches at your Club,” I smiled.
“Nope,” Sandy agreed, rising to head out of Utopia. “See you Ladies on the other side.”
“I’ll bring the Pringles!” I offer, following her out.
Sandy snorts, slinging her towel over her shoulders as she ambles out into the locker room and heads for the showers.
Before turning to close the door, I see a movement under the bench on the cement floor. Tiny copper antennae wriggle, exploring.
A cockroach?
ARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!! I think, scurrying out of the sauna to escape the wild beast.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent! I love the Hawaii native bug capture. And the picture of Sigourney Weaver. As always, great story telling. I also like the way face book truncates the heading before the story "Pool toys, Pringles and Cock...."
Talk to you soon >^..^<

Cj said...

Thanks for reading, as always, AnonCat! I always so appreciate your support and enthusiasm. And yes, those Hawaii Bugs are monsters! EEEECCCHHHHH!!!!!

RJJ said...

You know our Cockroach story when we were at the The Big Island resort of Kona Village and our Barbie on the Beach... they came like an army, indeed their invasion drove us off the beach and back to the safety of the Dining Hall. A memory I relieve every so often as last night, I went into the kitchen and there on the floor was a huge cockroach heading for little Beau's water dish. Fortunate, I had a very heavy book by John Irving sitting on the table, and walking softly, and keeping my shadow to the side, I lifted up the book and wham ! Got em....

The body under the book stayed there until this morning as I had had a glass of wine, and din't trust myself to lift up the book. The body under the book, was still there this morning and lifting up the very heavy book, was a perfectly smashed bug. Paper towels and newspaper along with lots of Lysol cleaned him up nicely. I will spray tonight after the little Beau goes to sleep as I don't want him to be nosey.....

Well, that's my story of bugs for now...will update if it happens again. First Bug in my house for years...ugh....

RJ

Cj said...

Ugh is right, RJ! So much for that bug thanks to literature! And, I think I've heard that Kona Bug Story. Those Hawaii bugs are monsters! Thanks for the rift off my story. Bug inspiration!
EEEEEWWWWWW!!!!!

shirka said...

check over herespecial info useful referenceclick over here now this pagepop over here

Unknown said...

Our site YSL Dolabuy find more information replica ysl bags Source replica gucci bags

toute said...

v9e50s2i62 s8c41i1k13 z2q96t4g27 v6y91d8n94 y3c37m5g79 g7j57c0q34

Earthquake?

  The blast of the whistle screams at me from above. Initially, I ignore it. They’ve been having lifeguard training at Kennedy High Pool for...