Thursday, December 19, 2013
The Next Mayor of Oakland!
“Sandy should be Mayor of Oakland,” DL announces, floating down Broadway after an evening of Utopia.
“That is an excellent idea!” P exclaims. “She would make a perfect Mayor of Oakland.”
DL nods as she unlocks Moondoggie’s passenger door, P climbing in for a last ride in DL’s 13 year old chariot.
Settling in, P muses about all the reasons Sandy should be Mayor of Oakland.
1. She is a member of the downtown Oakland YMCA
2. She is a swimmer
3. She has opinions
5. She knows how to navigate Utopia’s strangeness
6. She wears aqua and lavender leisure suits
7. She feels guilty about having a maid
8. She has a sense of humor that surprises
9. She is open to anyone and everyone
10. She vacations in Mexico
12. She drives a big white car
13. She knows where to shop
14. She has a Greek husband/partner
15. She knows when to be silent
16. She wields a wide spray bottle
17. She reads the New Yorker on the Treadmill
19. She thinks DL and PP are fun
20. She is Oakland
So, yes, DL is right. Sandy would make a great Mayor of Oakland.
The downtown Oakland Y is a perfect microcosm of what Oakland could be: it’s got ‘community’ and ‘heart’ and ‘health. Everyone gets along at the Y---it’s a diverse and divergent membership.
Plus, it has a pool. And if the Mayor of Oakland were a swimmer, like Sandy, well, then, all would be well with the city.
For doesn’t water solve all problems? P has never seen any of the ills that plague Oakland in the pool, with the exception of some minor violence against rubber duckies by naughty children.
DL and P just have to find out her last name before the next election.
Posted by Cj at 6:11 PM